1.Suspension of Re-Entry Permit Exemption and Application for Re-Entry Permit 

▪ Beginning June 1, 2020, registered aliens who are seeking re-entry into the ROK after departure is required to obtain a Re-Entry Permit in accordance with Article 30 of the Immigration Act, and leaving the Republic of Korea without a Re-Entry Permit will result in cancellation of Alien Registration. 

▪ Yet, those with Diplomats (A-1), Government Officials (A-2, A-3) or Overseas Korean (F-4) 

status do not need to apply for a Re-Entry Permit and are allowed to re-enter the ROK as previously done. 

▪ Re-Entry Permit can be applied for at immigration offices across the nation including at the airports. (Since it may take time to apply for a Re-entry Permit at the airport, please visit the 

airport earlier than usual on the departure date, to complete the application) 

2. Submission of Diagnosis for Re-Entry of Long-term Stayers 

▪ Beginning June 1, 2020, registered aliens (except Diplomats (A-1), Government Officials (A-2, A-3) and Overseas Korean (F-4) status) seeking re-entry into the ROK after departure are required to undergo a medical examination related to COVID-19 within 48 hours prior to the date of departure for the ROK and carry and present a medical certificate (diagnosis) detailing the results to re-enter the ROK.


A diagnosis must be written either in Korean or English and be issued by an authorized local medical institute. 

§ It must include the date of examination, and the presence or absence of fever, cough, chills, headache, difficulty of breathing, muscle pain and pulmonary symptoms, and must be signed by a medical examiner. 

It does not have to include a COVID-19 test result (Test Negative). 

(A medical certificate (diagnosis) listing a COVID-19 negative result shall also be deemed as valid.


▪ Failure to undergo the examination or present a written diagnosis, and forging/falsifying documents or presenting false documents will result in denial of boarding and entry, and other disadvantages. 

▪ Yet, those with a valid ‘Isolation Exemption Certificate’ issued by a Korean embassy or consular office are exempted from the obligation to submit a written diagnosis and are allowed to re-enter the ROK as an exception. 

☞ For detailed information, please call 1345 (Immigration Contact Center) or visit the official website (www.hikorea.go.kr) 

Article Reference

Photo by Glen Carrie on Unsplash