The E2 visa is the specific visa for individuals coming to Korea as an English Teacher. The E2 visa is sponsored by educational institutions such as public schools, private academies (hagwons), and at universities.

The visa must have prior agreed upon sponsorship by one of those institutions in order to obtain. An E2 visa is valid for 13 months, and must be renewed with each new contract or continuing contract. For more information about the process regarding the different scenarios please visit the E2 Visa Process wiki.


Citizenship Requirements
The E2 visa is only issued to qualified personal who citizens of one of the seven recognized native English speaking countries: the United States, Canada, UK, Republic of Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Academic Requirements
Applicants must hold at least a bachelors degree in any field. Those who are in progress of obtaining a bachelors degree or hold an associates degree are not eligible for the E2 visa.

Criminal Record Requirements
Those who have any sort of criminal record (either misdemeanors or felonies) are not eligible for the visa. Criminal records are verified by a submission of a national level Criminal Record Check. Traffic violations (such as speeding and parking citations) do generally not affect your criminal record for teaching in South Korea.

Health Requirements
Applicants must be in a good health standing and submit a self-medical check survey. They then receive a preliminary visa to come to Korea, where they take an actual medical check at a Korean health center. The test checks for general health conditions, drug usage, and diseases.

Required Documents

The following documents are required by Korean consulates to obtain an E2 visa. Please keep in mind that after submitting, these documents will not be returned:

  • Apostilled photocopy of Bachelors degree
  • Apostilled National-Level Criminal Background Check
  • Personal Resume
  • Photocopy of Passport Info Page
  • 1 Passport-sized Photo
  • Notice of Appointment & Contract (for EPIK and SMOE) or a Visa Issuance Number & Contract (for GEPIK, Hagwon)